Thursday, August 6, 2009

Happy August!

I thought we would start with food today, seeing as how I have had a considerable appetite lately- and a ton of produce to use up! Above are the pumpkin spice muffin/cupcakes I made the other day. Don't ask me why I made something that smells like fall- but it was lovely. I topped them with a cream cheese icing- vegan cream cheese that is :-) (thank you clarks market! I don't know what I would do without you!) They were yummy, yet seem to have been consumed by the fridge- which without the light seems to have become incredibly vacuous- which reminds me, I have to clean that (especially with all the mice running around this summer! ewwwww mice ewwwww..) ok moving on... I actually wrote up a recipe! I know for serious though! just scroll down to find it, I promise it's there!!
Farmer's Market Salsa
5-6 small radish’s -chopped Small green bell pepper- chopped
1 small cucumber- minced
¼ white onion - chopped 1 clove garlic- minced Handful of mixed cherries- pitted and chopped 1 peach - peeled and chopped 3 medium tomatoes- seeded and chopped 1 Serrano pepper- chopped Chunk of fresh ginger- minced 1 tbs agave nectar Squeeze of fresh lime Salt & pepper Fresh cilantro- minced Splash of HOT Hot sauce- 5 pickled jalpenjo’s - or to taste- minced Red pepper flakes
* This was the original recipe- and I didn't have too many hot peppers so that's why I added all the random hot stuff- it's all I had! - so next time I just minced up two serrano peppers, one with the seeds and pith- and the other seeded. You can also interchange the fresh fruit- whatevers in season!
Chill and serve
Date Night Dinner- Wild rice pilaf, served with fresh greens from the garden, and topped with blackberries, nectarines and champagne dressing. the last of our radishes and our other bell pepper- all of which went into the Salsa!!
Our awesome hike to American Lake, (I think I calculated that between the hikes, running and dog walking- I probably covered thirty miles last week!) though this hike was only 7 miles round trip. Beautiful hike up and you get the added reward of a refreshing cold lake at the end. very nice.
The hike up.
American Lake
Aspen Trees
So that's it for now- I also forgot to take some pix of the great remake of the healthy muffins, I added applesauce and carrots- and they were awesome. And this morning, having woken up at 5:20 am (why?)- I made the same muffins, but with banana's and zucchini. yum yum!! and the other night we made an awesome rice cake dish ( leftover from the pilaf) and paired it with an amazing salad Jim made with all the fresh tomatoes and herbs!!!
I am so very lucky to have such amazing people in my life, fresh food to eat and of course beautiful surroundings. I wish you all a wonderful rest of the week, (I know it's thursday, but give me a break, my wedding is in three weeks!!!! ) and of course I wish you all happiness and laughter!! :-)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Feel free to leave me a message! It makes me think people actually read this!